What Is a CHC?
Why were community health centers created?
The main task of community health centers (CHCs) is to promote a healthy lifestyle, prevent alcohol and nicotine addiction.
Who uses community health centers?
Health centers are designed to work with healthy people who seek medical advice to improve their quality of life, preserve and prolong their health.
In the centers, you can get help in quitting bad habits, including excessive alcohol and smoking, receive recommendations for correcting nutrition, physical activity, physical education and sports, sleep patterns, living conditions, work, study and rest.
Visitors to the health community center will also be able to check the content of toxic substances in the blood, cholesterol, control and estimate their weight, blood pressure, etc.
Everyone who wants to objectively assess the capabilities of their body and listen to the predictions of experts on the state of their health, functions and systems are invited to CHCs. After all, it has long been known that disease is easier to prevent than to cure.
How community health centers work
All services in health centers are provided free of charge.
The health centers employ doctors who have undergone thematic improvement in the formation of a healthy lifestyle and medical prevention. There are health schools, an office (or hall) of physiotherapy exercises.
The centers carry out a set of measures aimed at maintaining health, motivating Canadians to take personal responsibility for their health and the health of their children. Here you will get help in creating an individual health recovery plan, timely identifying and excluding risk factors for the development of diseases.
Important areas of work are education and informing the population about the dangers of tobacco use and alcohol abuse; prevention of socially significant diseases, including among the child population; an increase in the duration of an active life.
Testing on a hardware-software complex allows Canadians to detect the first symptoms of possible diseases. If the disease has not yet manifested itself, then there is a chance to prevent it by changing, for example, lifestyle.
The doctor evaluates risk factors, functional and adaptive reserves of the body, taking into account age characteristics, makes a prediction of the state of health, conducts a conversation and draws up an individual program for a healthy lifestyle. If necessary, the doctor recommends to the patient dynamic observation at the community health center with repeated examinations in accordance with the identified risk factors, attendance at the relevant health schools and physiotherapy rooms.
A comprehensive examination of Canadians is carried out once a year. If any disease is revealed during the examination, the doctor of the center recommends that the person contacts the appropriate specialist doctor to determine further tactics of observation and treatment.
Community health centers have equipment for assessing the functional and adaptive reserves of the body, taking into account age characteristics. They help determine the prognosis of the state of health, develop an individual program of medical prevention and maintain health, taking into account the physiological characteristics of the body.
- Hardware and software complex for screening assessment of the level of psychophysiological and somatic health, functional and adaptive reserves of the body with a set of equipment for measuring the parameters of physical development.
- Rapid assessment of the state of the heart by ECG signals from the extremities (computerized heart screening system).
- Angiological screening system with automatic measurement of systolic blood pressure and calculation of the shoulder-ankle index (this system will assess the state of the vessels of the lower extremities, the risk of chronic arterial insufficiency as a result of atherosclerotic lesions of the arteries of the lower extremities).
- Apparatus for a comprehensive detailed assessment of the respiratory system functions (computerized spirometer, which will allow assessing the state of the bronchopulmonary system in case of diseases and smoking).
- Bioimpedance meter for analyzing the internal environment of the body (a device that determines the percentage of water, muscle and adipose tissue, which is especially important in overweight and obesity to assess the risk of metabolic disorders, diabetes mellitus and arterial hypertension, as well as when monitoring dynamics of weight loss during weight loss).
- Express analyzer for determining total cholesterol and glucose in the blood (a device that allows you to determine the most important parameters of carbohydrate and fat metabolism in the body in a few minutes).
- Analyzer of carbon monoxide of exhaled air with determination of carboxyhemoglobin, which makes it possible to assess the degree of impaired gas exchange in diseases of the lungs and smoking, as well as the risk of developing respiratory failure and impaired oxygen transport by blood.
- Smokelizers, which determine the concentration of carbon monoxide (CO) in the exhaled air. Carbon monoxide monitors are used for diagnostic purposes to identify smokers and for long-term monitoring of CO levels during therapy aimed at quitting smoking and reducing the number of cigarettes smoked.
- Cardio equipment (treadmills) is used to exercise the cardiovascular system and increase overall physical endurance.
- Pulse oximeter is used to monitor the state of blood circulation (pulse) and arterial oxygen saturation during training.
- Equipment for the gymnasium.
- Equipment for demonstration of video materials and presentations on the screen.
How many community health centers are there in Canada?
Today, there are 113 CHCs in Canada:
- Access Alliance Multicultural Health & Community Services: 340 College Street, Suite 500 Toronto ON
- AIDS Vancouver Island (AVI) Health and Community Services: 713 Johnson Street Victoria BC
- Antigonish Women’s Resource Centre: 204 Kirk Place – 219 Main Street Antigonish NS
- Atira Women’s Resource Society: 101 East Cordova Street Vancouver BC
- Barrie Community Health Centre: 490 Huronia Road Barrie ON
- Belleville and Quinte West Community Health Centre: 161 Bridge St. West Belleville ON
- Black Creek Community Health Centre: 2202 Jane Street Toronto ON
- Boyle McCauley Health Centre: 10628 – 96 Street Edmonton AB
- Brock Community Health Centre: 720 Simcoe Street, P.O. Box 279 Beaverton ON
- Carea Community Health Centre: 115 Grassmere Avenue Oshawa ON
- Carlington Community Health Centre: 900 Merivale Road Ottawa ON
- Catherine White Holman Wellness Centre: #202-1193 Kingsway Vancouver BC
- Central Community Health Centre: 359 Talbot Street St. Thomas ON
- Central Interior Native Health Society: 1110 4th Ave Prince George BC
- Central Miramichi Community Health Centre: 11 Prospect Street Doaktown NB
- Centre de santé communautaire CHIGAMIK Community Health Centre: 845 King Street, Unit 10 Midland ON
- Centre de santé communautaire de l’Estrie: 841 Sydney Street Cornwall ON
- Centre de santé communautaire de Nipissing Ouest: 68 RUE MICHAUD ST. Sturgeon Falls ON
- Centre de santé communautaire de Timmins: 1500 Riverside Drive Timmins ON
- Centre de santé communautaire du Témiskaming: 20, rue May Sud, C. P. 38 New Liskeard ON
- Centre de santé communautaire Kapuskasing: 27, avenue Kolb Kapuskasing ON
- Centre de santé de Clare: 8559 Route 1 (C.P. 128) Centre-de-Meteghan NS
- Centre de santé Saint-Boniface: 170 Goulet Street Winnipeg MB
- Centre de santé Univi Health Centre: 44 St-Christophe St., Unit 2, P.O. Box 94 Noelville ON
- Centre Francophone du Grand Toronto: 555, rue Richmond Ouest Toronto ON
- Centretown Community Health Centre: 420 Cooper Street Ottawa ON
- Chatham Kent Community Health Centres: 150 Richmond Street Chatham ON
- Collingwood Neighbourhood House / RISE Community Health Centre: 5288 Joyce Street Vancouver BC
- Community First Health Cooperative: 204- 518 Lake Street Nelson BC
- Compass Community Health: 438 Hughson St. North Hamilton ON
- Cortes Community Health Centre: 947 Beasley Road Manson’s Landing BC
- Country Roads Community Health Centre: 4319 Cove Road at Hwy 15 Portland ON
- CUPS Calgary – Health, Education, Housing: 1001 10 Ave SW Calgary AB
- Dr. Kingston Memorial Community Health Centre: 40 School Road L’Ardoise NS
- East Mississauga Community Health Centre: 2555 Dixie Road, Unit 7 Mississauga ON
- Flemingdon Health Centre: 10 Gateway Blvd North York ON
- Fredericton Downtown Community Health Centre: 339 King Street Fredericton NB
- Gabriola Community Health Centre: 691 Church Street Gabriola BC
- Galiano Health Centre: 908 Burrill Road Galiano Island BC
- Gateway Community Health Centre: 41 McClellan Street, Bag #99 Tweed ON
- Grand Bend Area Community Health Centre: 69 Main Street East Grand Bend ON
- Grand River Community Health Centre: 363 Colborne Street Brantford ON
- Guelph Community Health Centre: 176 Wyndham Street North Guelph ON
- Hamilton Urban Core Community Health Centre: 71 Rebecca Street Hamilton ON
- Hornby and Denman Community Health Centre – Denman Island: 3351 Piercy Road Denman Island BC
- Hornby and Denman Community Health Centre – Hornby Island: 1885 Sollans Road Hornby Island BC
- Island Sexual Health: 3960 Quadra St #101 Victoria BC
- Jasper Place Wellness Centre: 15626 100A Ave Edmonton AB
- Kingston Community Health Centres: 263 Weller Avenue Kingston ON
- Kitchener Downtown Community Health Centre: 44 Francis Street South Kitchener ON
- Klinic Community Health: 870 Portage Avenue Winnipeg MB
- LAMP Community Health Centre: 185 Fifth Street Toronto ON
- Lanark Renfrew Health & Community Services: 207 Robertson Drive Lanark ON
- Langs Community. Health. Wellness: 1145 Concession Road Cambridge ON
- London InterCommunity Health Centre: 659 Dundas Street London ON
- Main Street Project: 75 Martha Street Winnipeg MB
- Mary Berglund Community Health Centre: 1100 Main Street. Box 450 Ignace ON
- MFL Occupational Health Centre: 102-275 Broadway Winnipeg MB
- Mid-Main Community Health Centre: 3998 Main Street Vancouver BC
- Mount Carmel Clinic: 886 Main Street Winnipeg MB
- Napanee Area Community Health Centre: 6 Dundas Street East Napanee ON
- New Waterford and District Community Health Centre: 716 King Street New Waterford NS
- Nine Circles Community Health Centre: 705 Broadway Winnipeg MB
- North End Community Health Centre: 2131 Gottingen Street Halifax NS
- NorWest Co-op Community Health Centre and Community Food Centre: 785 Keewatin Street Winnipeg MB
- Norwest Community Health Centres: 525 Simpson Street Thunder Bay ON
- Our Health Centre: 3768 Highway # 3 Chester NS
- Oxford County Community Health Centre: 35 Metcalf Street Woodstock ON
- Parkdale Queen West Community Health Centre: 1229 Queen Street West Toronto ON
- Pender Harbour Health Centre: 5066 Francis Peninsula Rd, P.O. Box 308 Madeira Park BC
- Pender Islands Health Centre: 5715 Canal Road Pender Island BC
- Pinecrest-Queensway Community Health Centre: 1365 Richmond Road, 2nd Floor Ottawa ON
- Port Hope Northumberland Community Health Centre: 99 Toronto Road Port Hope ON
- Quest Community Health Centre: 145 Queenston Street, Suite 100 St. Catharines ON
- Rainbow Valley Community Health Centre: 49 Mill Street Killaloe ON
- REACH Community Health Centre: 1145 Commercial Drive Vancouver BC
- Regent Park Community Health Centre: 465 Dundas Street East Toronto ON
- Regina Community Clinic: 1106 Winnipeg Street Regina SK
- Rexdale Community Health Centre: 8 Taber Road Toronto ON
- Rideau Community Health Services: 354 Read Street Smiths Falls ON
- Salt Spring Island Community Health Centre: 181 Booth Canal Road Salt Spring Island BC
- Sandy Hill Community Health Centre: 221 Nelson Street Ottawa ON
- Saskatoon Community Clinic: 455 2nd Avenue North Saskatoon SK
- Sayward Community Health Centre: 601 Kelsey Way Sayward BC
- Scarborough Centre for Healthy Communities: 4100 Lawrence Avenue East Scarborough ON
- SEARCH Student-Run Health Centre: 3510 5th Avenue Regina SK
- Seaway Valley Community Health Centre: 353 Pitt Street Cornwall ON
- Somerset West Community Health Centre: 55 Eccles Street Ottawa ON
- South East Grey Community Health Centre: 55 Victoria Street Markdale ON
- South Nepean Community Health Centre: 4100 Strandherd Drive Nepean ON
- South Riverdale Community Health Centre: 955 Queen Street East Toronto ON
- South Shuswap Health Services: 10-2417 Golf Course Drive Blind Bay BC
- South-East Ottawa Community Health Centre: 1355 Bank Street – Suite 600 Ottawa ON
- Southwest Ontario Aboriginal Health Access Centre: 427 William Street – Suite 425 London ON
- St. Joseph’s Community Health Centre: 116 Coburg Street Saint John NB
- STEP Community Health Centre: 2645 Skeena Drive Kamloops BC
- Stonegate Community Health Centre: 150 Berry Road Toronto ON
- Sun Peaks Community Health Centre: 3115 Creekside Way Sun Peaks BC
- SWITCH Student-Run Health Centre (SK): 1528 20th Street West Saskatoon SK
- TAIBU Community Health Centre: 27 Tapscott Road, Unit #1 Scarborough ON
- The Alex Community Health Centre and Community Food Centre: #102, 2840 2 Ave SE Calgary AB
- The Gathering Place: 172 Military Road St. John’s NL
- Tri County Women’s Centre: 12 Cumberland Street Yarmouth NS
- Umbrella Multicultural Health Cooperative: 715 Carnarvon Street New WEstminster BC
- Vaughan Community Health Centre: 9401 Jane Street, Suite 206 Vaughan ON
- Vibrant Healthcare Alliance: 2398 Yonge Street Toronto ON
- Victoria Cool Aid Society: 102-749 Pandora Avenue Victoria BC
- Victoria Health Cooperative: 547 Michigan Street, Victoria BC
- WellFort Community Health Services: 40 Finchgate Blvd, Suite 224 Brampton ON
- Windsor Essex Community Health Centre: 101-1361 Ouellette Avenue Windsor ON
- Women’s Health Clinic: 419 Graham Avenue, Unit A Winnipeg MB
- Women’s Health in Women’s Hands Community Health Centre: 2 Carlton Street – Suite 500 Toronto ON
- Woolwich Community Health Centre: 10 Parkside Dr, St. Jacobs, ON N0B 2N0